Thursday 31 January 2008

21st January – 25th January – Vancouver, Canada

We awoke to another perfect day with no wind today. Yah, because we had booked ourselves skiing and snowboarding lessons at Grouse Mountain. We caught the sea bus over the bay and caught a bus to the base of the mountain. We visited Grouse back in June in summer and already it looked so different with the trees up the side of the mountain covered in snow. However, as far as conditions went, it was going to be a perfect sunny -6 degrees.
We crammed into the Gondola – we didn’t actually think that you could get that many people into a Gondola and we were off – eight minutes to the top. Although no snow had fallen the previous night it was fresh and thick all around us. We hopped off at the top and marveled at the difference. Many of the things that we had seen in summer were buried under the snow which sat at 401cm thick. The path that we had walked on was now a skating rink and other than that, snow was everywhere. The view to Vancouver was amazing too. Being a clear day you could look down at the city with the sun shining on it.
We went to the ski rental area and picked up our boots, ski’s and snowboard. After some help we kitted up and went outside to meet our instructors. At this point the less said about how crappy I was at skiing, the better. Over to Dan to talk about his snowboarding.
I’ve never snow boarded before but with years of skateboarding under my belt I thought I’d go okay. I didn’t know how to put the boots on. Not a good start! While I was waiting for the lesson, I strapped myself into the bindings and promptly fell over three times on flat ground. (It’s harder than it looks).
We had five in our two lessons, and from not knowing anything, I was able to do turns and going up the rope tow (lift). Needless to say I fell over a lot but it didn’t matter as it was awesome fun. Once the lesson finished, I went back and grabbed Tan and we warmed up with hot chocolate.

I went back on the slopes for a few more hours of snowboarding and was able to make it down the cut without falling over. Not bad for first time snowboarding. I called it a day watching the most amazing sunset over Vancouver and the snow lit up pink too. Snowboarding is awesome!!
We caught the seabus home taking in the views of the Vancouver skyline.

No comments: