Thursday 31 January 2008

27th - 31st January - Vancouver, Canada

Sunday was very, very quiet, as you can imagine after having a major blow out!!

Round Up was is on this week in Vancouver, like Diggers n Dealers in Kal but the Canadian version. Horn and I went later after a big day and caught up with Brendo and the crew. Jaimie, an awesome engineer I used to work with was there.I hadn’t seen her for four years and it was great! It was cold when we left, that cold that at 9pm it started snowing (rare for Vancouver City). After talking geo stuff for a while we left for the pub and eventually headed back to Leo and Brendo’s. “Australians have this affinity for frozen water” is what one Canadian guy, Cookson, always used to say! It is true as the snow was just awesome. The view of the snow covered streets from Horn’s apartment was white and tranquil.
The church outside across the street looked different covered in snow.
The following morning, the streets were covered in snow and it was still snowing!! The view from the office window was a blanket of white. Tan and I hooked up with Jaimie and Brendo at our favourite sushi train (boats) on Robson St. Yum. That night we ended up going to Plan B (which isn’t Canadian for “just get ‘er done”). Brendo, Lesley, Jaimie, Tan and I had a large (and expensive) and tasty selection of appetizers ranging from cod, lamb, foie gras, scallops, beef and vegetarian samosas (in a shell of capsicum). It was another late one. Tired from the big nights before, we decided to stay in. I got a random call from Horn. “Would you like to come snow boarding? We are leaving in 15 minutes.” I couldn’t let the opportunity pass on this cold and rainy Vancouver night. Jason, one of Leo’s mates, picked me up and we were off. At the base of the lift it was snowing! Jason and Leo were great helping me get my gear and Brendo leant me his board.

All sorted we hit the mountain. I was somewhat apprehensive as I had only had 4 hours on the snow board to date. We hit the green run, The Cut, and I got to bottom without falling. One more run on the cut and we were onto the intermediate runs. I was surprised that my speed and turns got better. The other day from the kiddies run I was looking at the summit thinking how steep is that. Well, following Jason and Leo, we hit the summit and other runs. It was snowing quite hard and the visibility progressively got worse (it didn’t help with foggy goggles – something I need to work on). The highlights of the night was getting 1m of air off a kicker and sticking the landing in my 6th hour of snowboarding! The second was going down a powder covered (really powdery) un lit black run at night on my second go of snowboarding. I ate a lot of snow but I got to the bottom!!! We finished up near white out conditions, with low visiblity and a strong wind in 10 - 15cm of fresh fluffy snow.

By the end of the night I was exhausted, but oh so ready to hit Whistler and Blackcomb on the weekend. Leo and Jason were inspirational.

No comments: