Thursday 14 February 2008

2nd February – Whistler, BC, Canada

Tan and I woke up a bit late, admired the pile of snow on the balcony and then walked down the icy road to the base of Blackcomb Mountain. After a quick breakfast, I geared up and then went up the chairlift then onto another. Here I was ready for my first run, a blue or intermediate run. I was a little risty at the start feeling the edge on this different board and the run was a little icy. I made it successfully to the bottom and then hit the next parallel run and threw in a few jumps. I was feeling good by now! I waited for the group after a few phone calls, six of us met at the bottom of Jersey Cream chairlift. Belly, Jaimie and Toni on skis and Horn, Andrea and I on boards. We cruised down the start of the run I did previous and then decided we would hit a black (or difficult) run. On the way I hit a jump and got about 1m of air but I had a flat landing.

The black run was a little ambitious. It was full of moguls, though at least the top of the moguls was soft and powdery. I took a lot of powder as I graded my way through the piles of snow. I made it to the bottom of the moguls, a first for me, thinking that it wasn’t the best run to try for my third day on the board. It was still lots of fun.

We ended up going up near the peak of Blackcomb and work our way along a mix of blue runs and the occasional green or easy cat track. Following Horn down the hill and seeing what jumps he was hitting gave me confidence to nail a few on the way down. Near the top of the mountain, the snow was more fresh and powdery and just a pleasure to snowboard through. The crashes were more pleasurable as they didn’t hurt at all!
We had a late lunch, chili, of course, and then hit the same area. We went down a steep moguled black run called Heavenly Paradise. We took it easy, as Leo twisted his ankle. After that I went back to the top and boarded all the way down the mountain to the bottom. When I realized I had gone to the wrong spot I went up the slowest chairlift ever on the beginner run to get back and around to the base of the Whistler and Blackcomb gondolas. With one more day under belt on the slopes, I felt quite confident to hit small jumps, link turns and board switch heel side – pretty impressed. Along the way down, I boarded into an awaiting Brendo and Tan, who had spent the day watching Logan’s Run (dreadful 60’s flick) and James Bond. We walked the 500m down the ski slope to Black’s pub to catch up with the rest of the crew. With some indecision, six of us stayed in for booze and food with the idea of cooking a BBQ. All but one of us were Aussies, so a BBQ sounded like a great area. But first the hot tub beckoned us all to come in, so we did, complete with champers and Coronas. The hot water on the aching muscles was exactly what the doctor ordered.
Well, it was way to cold to cook outside, so Belly and I started with the snags in the fry pan. We had no oil and the Canadian snags aren’t like ours which are filled with fat and oil and the occasional bit of meat. We cooked the snags in a mix of water, hommus and beer. Very untraditional but we had limited (no) supplies. It turned out well!

No comments: