Monday 1 October 2007

27th September – Raven Camp, SK

Today was all about sampling at West Bear, an area only accessible by chopper in summer. We took the full truck to the old camp, safety first, and got in with Wes.It was quite squeezy with four of us in the back of the chopper. Here’s Darcy, Steve and I squeezed up.
The team had laid out all of the boxes which meant we had to do our geo stuff on them. The best thing about West Bear and the 5 degree maximum day was that we could light the piles of scrap timber up without causing a major forest fire. It was cold, my toes were hurting, so I cut the fingers off a pair of cotton gloves and placed the mitt over my foot. It worked, only slightly. Tomorrow I’m bringing more clothes. Okay, blokes and fires. There is something magical about a fire especially when it is lit with petrol. Well, the wood was that cold and wet that even after three goes with accelerant it didn’t work. On the third go I picked up a wet tissue and said try lighting this. Brendo, who now looks like a bear with a bushy beard gave it a light. To my amazement it was covered in petrol and lit exceptionally well. Unusual! Anyway, Corey really gave it a good shot and it eventually worked. What a bushman!
One good fire leads to another. Using the embers we lit up the next pile. We also had to give it a little help!
I had port and vodka with the boys and talked cricket. It was good having tins again. Tan watched a terrible movie with the girls called “Population 436”.

Tan saw her first glimpse of “full moon washed out” green northern lights.

No comments: