Sunday 28 October 2007

27th October, Raven Lake, SK

It is amazing watching the seasons change and having snow permanently on the ground. It has now snowed every day for 7 days!! We have had some cool weather. Yesterday it hit a high of minus 3 and a low of minus 8. This string of cold days has made the water in the lakes start to freeze.


This is the lake after the big snow spew we had on the 24th. The falling snow formed a snow mush on the lake surface, much like a big slushie.

The following morning the clouds cleared and the lake was normal again with ice cold water.The following morning the snow fall from overnight was sitting on the thin sheet of ice, mostly confined to the edge of the lake. I check the ice every morning by throwing rocks onto the ice which all break through.This morning I got up walked the 25m to the lake and piffed my yonnie on to the ice. To my amazement it bounced and rolled. The stone was stranded on the lake surface. Even though the photo doesn't look like it the entire lake surface is frozen solid.

I raced up to the tent, got Tan and gave Tan a rock. She threw it and it bounced as well. She was impressed. I stood on the lake edge and it took about 20 kilos of weight before breaking. The ice is 2cm thick. A 15cm rock thrown with force will go through it.

At lunch, it checked again. This time I put more weight on it and to my disappointment the ice broke. Yes, it took more pressure but I went up to my knee is the coldest water I have ever felt. My gumboot was full of water and the cold was stinging my skin. It took about 30 seconds to get back to the tent, pull off my boot and sock and warm my toes up near the stove. C'mon, I'm a scientist. I had to check!!

No comments: