Wednesday 7 May 2008

25-27th March, Raven Camp, SK

Over the next few days in between work, I got to walk on the lake Tan and I watched freeze over from nothing to 5cm of ice in three days. I got to write Tan in the snow on the lake. Now the snow was thigh to groin high in areas and it was so dry you couldn’t make a snow ball out of it. It is really hard to walk in deep snow, tiring in fact. It was a sunny -21 when I took this photo.
The core racks were covered in fluffy snow, like muffins.
Brendo cruising along in the snow.
The northern lights of a night time were absolutely glorious. One night they were shimmering away. I was outside in -20C (as cold as a conventional freezer) with a gusty wind. This meant it was pretty cold in my books. Fantastic to experience this again! A rule in Canada is “Don’t eat yellow snow!”. Around the tents there was a lot of yellow snow. I did some calligraphy!!
Cooktits had a spare snowboard and boots which fitted so got to hit the slopes for two nights. I did some pretty spectacular crashes but overall learnt a bit more on the board.
Going off the slope into the powder was a silly idea. Here is me stuck in snow with a snowboard attached to my feet.
On the last day, I visited one of the rigs at Raven. A glorious cloud free day and some ptarmigans were walking around in the snow.
After visiting the rig, we went to Lake Wollaston, where I caught a large pike and walleye in the summer. Now the lake is frozen over and it has an ice road. The minimum thickness of ice was 76cm!! Semi trailers work they way across the lake and one company was actually drilling on it. I got to drive on the lake, a first and then we played on the thick blue ice. Along the Umpherville River under all that snow and ice is where we put the boat in for the first time in the summer season.
The coldest it got during these nights was -29.2C, colder than Australia’s coldest reported temperature at Charlotte’s Pass. This cold weather isn’t that bad!

The last night, the northern lights were the second most spectacular I have seen. They are an absolutely amazing phenomena.

No comments: