Wednesday 7 May 2008

24th March - Vancouver, BC - Points North SK

Today, I was embarking on a trip that I wanted to do but wasn’t expecting I was going to do it. I was heading to site in northern Saskatchewan to check on the progress, discuss some of the work I had done and review the project with a group of analysts. It took nearly a full day of travel to get to Points North and I am so glad I got up there. The trip went via Edmonton and Saskatoon. It was funny to see these cities with isolated snow patches and semi-frozen lakes. Very different from autumn when we were through there last.

The Rockies were snow covered.
So were the fields. And the lakes were frozen over!
The boys, Dave, Corey and Matt met us at Points and it was a beautiful clear sunny day and a touch below zero at -16 degrees C. Officially my coldest temperature, good for Australian, but pretty warm for a Canadian! The airport looked so different with snow piled up around the tarmac that had been ploughed off. The lake was covered in nearly a metre of snow.
On arrival to camp, I was so surprised to see it. All of the tents were surrounded with snow and the roads were covered in a layer of hard packed snow and ice. I got to my original tent I stayed in when I first arrived what seemed a long time ago and got set up (and put on my warm clothes).
I went for a walk and snapped some shots. The snow was up to 1m deep in places and you would fall through it up to your crutch. It was tough going walking through it.
The tents looked quite different from the summer season with all of the snow on them.
Our summer tent was nearly hidden from the thick snow!
In the fall, the guys cleared a small area and made a snowboard terrain park on one of the drumlin edges. I got to see Glasglacius and Cooktits nail some of the jumps.
Cooktits hit a ptarmigan while driving today and we were told it was good eating. Our chef cooked it up and to say it was yummy was an overstatement. The taste was a bit too gamey for me. It looked like a rhinocerous beetle in the baking pan.
Smokes ended up reading that night while I walked around in -20 to snap some shots, like the icicles formed on one of the logging shacks.

No comments: