Tuesday 4 December 2007

1st December – Playa Del Carmen - Cancun, Mexico

After a relaxing morning, we packed, had some breakfast and were off. We are now going to see the real Mexico, after our jaunt in the all inclusive hotel. With packs on our back we bussed to Cancun. From the map (without street numbers) we couldn’t decipher how far it was to the hotel from the bus station. In my best Spanglish I asked to go to Hotel Kin Mayab. The taxi driver wasn’t too keen to take me there and offered directions in Spanish. We got the gist of the conversation and off we trooped. Now this is traveling!! We walked past the discrete entrance to the hotel until we saw a number on a building. 101, and we needed 75. After a quick “Donda esta” or ‘where is’, we turned around walked back 200m and found our abode. The rooms were nice but the shower had louvre windows and a small arch window strategically placed at chest height for the outside world to see in!
Today was a day of getting stuff together and washing, (the dreaded laundry) was on the list. We found one, Spanish book in hand and organized it all! Hooray! Tan tried these awful lime and chili chips and almost burnt off her tongue on the side of the road. True Mexican style, but it was a late lunch and small lunch.

That night we met the group and had Gory Tacos (well that was the name of the restaurant). Happy hour seemed to run all night so Tan got two Sangrias to my two Coronas. Una mas (one more) actually meant two more so I had my work cut out for me to clean them up late into the meal. The group members we met and Melanee (a Canadian who is uber-fluent in Spanish) our tour leader. She reminds me of Melinda my sister in law (Hi Mel!!!).

No comments: