Saturday 21 July 2007

10th July – Raven Camp, SK

My first full day on site. There are 32 people in camp and we stay in a mix of insulated ATCO demountables (dongas) and canvas tents. I stay in a canvas tent with Leo, Steve and Tom all geos. I remember the first time I saw a photo of these tents I thought “no way” but they are quite good. We had a site safety meeting with all the crews and ran through a mini induction. When we were running through the wildlife interaction it started to rain. Here we all were watching how bear spray and a bear banger operates in pouring rain (and it is summer). Welcome to Saskatchewan. Leo and I checked the rigs and went through some of the core. The standards are a little lower here with some drillers and offsiders who choose not to wear helmets. Very different from home. The area we are drilling is the closest surface diamond drill program I have observed but with a narrow high grade shoot this style of deposit has about $1.8 billion Canadian dollars worth of uranium in it!

After knocking off at 5.30pm, Steve, Brendan and I walked into a lake called East Lampin. I got my introduction to walking in the bush. Muskeg – a swampy marsh with soft spongy moss which can spring up to 0.4m. Boulder fields – coarse uneven boulders left from a retreating glacier. Frost heave – the power of water turning to ice can shatter rock into flat slabs. All of this wasn’t easy to walk over but when we got to East Lampin Lake, it was like another post card. We got a few pike and then headed back to our original spot in Kewen Lake. The lake narrows at our fishing spot and then runs under a bridge over rocks into another section of the lake. A picturesque spot!

Steve caught some belter pike while we were wading in knee high water. Then I got one, it was 70cm long. It was fantastic to see this one come in and fight in the shallow water. I was so chuffed to catch a big one. Another photo opportunity!!

No comments: