Sunday 22 July 2007

11th July – Raven Camp, SK

Horn saw me today and said “Dan, I have a plan!”. What? “No I will tell you after lunch!” After lunch I had a chat with Leo to get some further information. He wasn’t forthcoming. About 4.45pm, Leo asked if I new anything about boats. Sure I do. Sierd, our boss in Vancouver, hired a 14’ aluminium dinghy with 9.9HP motor for us to hoon around in. A great plan! We got into the boat, squeezed the fuel and pulled the cord. After about 30 pulls the boys thought I was Mr. Rubbish for the day. Have faith!! A few more pulls and it started. Once it got into gear, it stalled. It did this a couple of times until it was going under full steam. The plan has unfolded. The smiles on our faces were huge as we hooned around in the boat on the lake behind the camp. Plan B – Just keep on doing!! We put the boat in the back of the truck. Even with ropes and straps it looked quite precarious, but it worked. We trucked down to Umperville River, which flows into the massive Lake Wollaston. Steve, Brendo, Leo and I got the boat going and headed up stream. We caught a few pike but we were hunting walleye, the best eating fish in Saskatchewan. Steve, once again caught a huge pike. We tried to get up the rapids but the bottom kept on hitting. Sitting at the foot of the rapids with the motor engaged was lots of fun. We were in the purple zone but alas no luck with the walleye.

Drinking tins and hanging out in the boat was awesome. A great plan and well executed. A token footy photo pose and we were back in camp.

No comments: