Saturday 7 July 2007

2nd July - Vancouver (Dan) Vancouver - Honolulu (Tan)

Today was quiet and a bit sad. With the change of plans now Tania was coming back to Australia while I stay on in Vancouver before heading to the field. Originally, I was going to go to northern Quebec for a 6 week stint and Tan would go home and meet me in Toronto. Due to the short nature of the Quebec field season, the lack of a work permit, not being able to use our registered Australian Business, Tan and I decided not to proceeed down the Quebec path. It's a pity as it l0oked like an interesting place to visit. Here's a pic on what I am missing out on!! Looks cold.
To make the day count, we visited the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen classical chinese garden which was close by. On the way we passed the world's narrowest building only 6 feet wide and it is in the Guinness Book of World Records. The garden was like an oasis in the desert. On arrival, a garden volunteer had just started a guided tour. To start a Chinese graden first you need is a mountain with a pergola (or some flash name for one) on it. Then you can make the lake and then the garden.
It was really nice with turtles, ducks and water lillies. A great spot. Me, being the nerd, spotted fossil corals in the limestone which I pointed out to the guide.
Afterwards we came back had a quick bite to eat at our local called Malone's, packed and taxied to the airport. Once you check in you have to go straight to customs which is a crapola system. Tan and I had a drink, shed some tears and I left, sad.

Tan caught her delayed Air Canada flight (AC33) to Honolulu then onto Sydney.

I come back on the bus and it was full. There was a spare seat next to this guy, so I sat down. After about 30 seconds I worked out why it was spare. This guy was a complete nuffie. He couldn't stop talking and saying shit about people. "Look at this guy next to me. He is ignoring me and doesn't no what to say. That kid is laughing at me". On and on and on... it was incessant. I was pretty glad to get off the bus after hearing 25 minutes of utter tripe.

First thing I did when I got back was go for a run. All the beer and good food was getting to me. I ran and walked to the end of Stanley Park past the totem poles. It was a beautiful clear sunny afternoon and great time to go for a run.

Hope Tan is going well.

No comments: