Monday 23 July 2007

17th July, Raven Camp, SK



Went out to check the rigs this evening. The afternoon sun on the rigs brought out the colours.

At 10.45pm, Steve come running into the tent. “BEAR!!” Leo jumped up and I got dressed and put on my contacts and was out there. One of the drill offsiders saw this larger bear walk through the camp. We all had our cameras (against the procedures) and Bart, the camp helper who loves his hunting got the gun. We thought the guy was full of shit until Leo saw the bear walk past one of the core shacks. From all accounts it was chest high. This happens and that is why we carry bear spray and bear bangers. Leo set off a bear banger, a small firework, which shoots 40’ into the air for good measure. I wasn’t impressed that I didn’t see my first wild bear.

No comments: