Tuesday 28 August 2007

24th August, Points North, SK

I spoke to Tan this morning and she will be in the air soon after a token visit to Clancy’s for old times sake.

We picked up Leo and flew over the top of Kewen Lake, fond memories of awesome sunsets and great pike. We circled the camp and I coud see all of the clean up we had managed. It’s looking good. Hornado jumped in and wanted to chop shit down. We got to Wolf Lake and we had to wait after extending a hole. Matt, Leo and I ended up making pickets and having chopping contests. Eight chops was not my record – actually I was rubbish. The pickets we made will be visible in 6 foot of snow. We will have no problems locating these in winter. We went over to the river which I just drilled under, days previous. It is a beautiful spot. My polaroids didn’t locate any grayling but this is the spot to get them. Fast flowing water with big rocks. After picketing all of the existing holes, Wes took us over to the central area. We did a couple and then I said to the boys “Follow me!” Matt thought I was trying to locate another hole but my plan was to find the bald eagles nest. Standing under the tallest tree on the tallest hill I told the guys to look up. There it was, 1.8m wide and about 1.2m high, perched high a top of the trees. The base was covered with slightly rounded branches that had fallen out. I was expecting to see skeletons of prey but instead we found a few feathers. Leo decided he would be “Chief” for the moment, compared to my George Washington pose an hour before. This was the first time Leo had been in a chopper since he has been in Canada, so we made the most of it. We located some old core near a swamp from the air, a job for some one to cut a track in and then we did a fly over of the Horseshoe deposit. This has been Leo’s pride and joy for the last two years and it was good for him to get the aerial perspective.
We landed by the redecorated dunny, dropped off Horn. It was 2:00pm and we all were starving. A quick bite to eat and we chased Cookie the resident pug around. Cookie wears these booties which are really cool. Lucky Cookie is a girl dog. It was a good relaxing day as I needed it.
On an evening trip out to the rig, I saw the thickest rainbow ever. The late sun was shining under some clouds with rain falling producing a monster rainbow. Pity the photos didn’t come out too well. The sun shining on the lakes was spectacular too.

No comments: